There are 249 working days in 2024. The average working days per month is 20.75. Out of 15 widely recognized legal holidays, only 2 are non-working days.
The number of working days in a year is useful for purposes of planning activities within the company. In service companies, this number is important for the most accurate estimates or calculations of revenues and costs.
These are the calendar days from 2024, with weekly rest days, paid days off, and public holidays highlighted:
The number of working days in a year is useful information for several purposes. The goals can be related to the planning of activities within the company. Or they can be related to financial aspects. It could be about income and costs: estimates or exact calculations, when they depend on the number of days worked.
On the one hand, in the context of planning activities and projects, the number of working days in the year, respectively each month, are essential for projects with a longer duration and requiring more resources.
If we are going to bring in new resources, we ask ourselves the question of how long it takes for them to fully integrate into the team. A new hire in a professional services firm becomes productive after about 60 working days. Based on the total number of working days, we find that this period can reach at least a quarter of the year. It is a long period in the economy of a company.
On the other hand, when you invoice the work to clients with daily rate, the number of working days in the year is important for estimating revenue.
Also, you can calculate the cost of a working day.
If you have other expenses depending on the number of days worked, the number of working days in the year or month is useful for calculating these costs:
– with external resources, subcontractors who have rates per working day
– with the meal vouchers offered to employees with an individual work contract for each working day
Next, we review the main categories of days encountered in practice.
- Calendar day – any day of the week
- Working day – any day of the week except Saturdays and Sundays and legal holidays, on which the regular working hours are carried out
- Day(s) of rest (or rest) – day on which no work is done, which is intended for rest
- Non-working day (free) – day during the working week when the staff is not obliged to perform work: weekly rest days, legal holidays and other days on which, according to the law, no work is done
- Weekly rest – rest days granted on two consecutive days, usually Saturday and Sunday (weekend)
Legal holidays in EU 2024
As can be seen from the table, of the 15 public holidays, only two are during weekends and 13 are during the week.
The public holiday that take place during the weekend are related to Catholic Easter, 30 and 31 March.
The formula for calculating working days for the year 2024
The next step is to calculate the number of working days. It is calculated by subtracting calendar days, rest days and free working days:
- calendar days: 366 (2024 is a leap year)
- from which:
- weekends: 104
- working days off: 13
- Result: 366-104-13 = 249 working days 2024
The average number of working days per month in 2024 is approximately 21 working days.
Below is the distribution of the 249 working days over the 12 months:
With Oraroo you can manage legal holidays and various own leave policies. In addition to statutory holidays or the minimum statutory holiday entitlement, you can offer your employees additional holiday days of various types.
You can manage with Oraroo, policies for additional leave days for loyalty, for seniority, company day, recoveries in days and hours. You can even create your own types of leave – including to manage the day off for blood donation or other cases.